Math Club earns trophy at competition
Problem Solving Results
- 2nd Place Overall Team in Div. II
- 1st Place Free Response: Matthew Naumann
- 2nd Place Multiple Choice Grade 10: Matthew Naumann
- 2nd in FR AND 2nd in MC Grade 12: Lucas Huber
- 5th in MC Grade 12: Thomas Kotopka
- 4th in FR Grade 12: Lavie Nguyen
- 4th in FR Grade 11: Joe Vacek
Club earns team awards at Doane's Math Bowl
The Math Club at Pius X competed at the Math Bowl at Doane University. Competitors were seniors Lavie Nguyen, Crispin Corpuz, and Lucas Huber, juniors Luke Tomes and Aliece Aylor, and sophomore Ngan Nguyen.
Here are the results:
- tied for 4th out of 9 teams in the Extreme Team Challenge (team was Luke Tomes, Lucas Huber, and Crispin Corpuz).
- tied for 6th out of 9 teams in the Overall Team Awards.
The Doane University triMATHlon is a math contest in three stages designed for 9th -12th grade students. The contest includes material typically taught prior to trigonometry and calculus in Nebraska public high schools (up to and including 2nd year algebra). The three stages of the triMATHlon are:
Extreme Team Challenge
Come prepared for the weather in this one-of-a-kind team challenge! 3-person teams will be presented with questions involving Doane’s campus and have 45 minutes to prepare written solutions. (Limit 2 teams per school – calculators allowed)
45-minute Individual Written Exam
This multiple-choice exam includes 30 questions. (All mathletes welcome – no calculators allowed.)
3 – Person Team Math Bowl
This “quiz show” contest pairs 3-persons teams in a single-elimination tournament. (Limit 1 team per school – no calculators allowed)